Saturday, January 16, 2010

What if...we Americans fought for free healthcare?

What if...we Americans fought for free healthcare? Before talking about the main subject at hand, I do have a personal story of my own relating to the topic. On November 26, 2009, the clock on my nightstand struck 12:09 pm. I should have been baking cakes by then, but I was coughing and gasping for air. It was another asthma attack, but it was the biggest I had in a long time. My brother helped me walk down the stairs, but by the second to the last step, I believe I fainted and fell to the ground. I was told that while I was in the paramedics truck, the paramedics men stuck me twice in the left arm with a syringe needle. Reaching near Methodist South, I was finally awake. Although, this sounds like a scary experience, that's not what scares me the most. While in the hospital, I was on my laptop watching a movie called "Sicko." If no one has ever watched or even heard of the movie, it basically shows a documentary of some of the millions of Americans without health insurance, or if they do have health insurance, it isn't enough. If you guessed by now, what frightens me the most is that I am one of the millions of Americans that has no health insurance. By the time a person is 18 years of age, Medicaid does not cover that person unless she is pregnant or can prove that he or she is disabled enough to get health insurance which in that case, I don't believe that they even believe that I had severe asthma my whole life. While watching the movie, I also thought to myself that every other country, including Mexico, in the world has a free healthcare system. They were just like us until they protested against the government saying that if they had to pay high taxes, then they should get some visible results. In London, they have free healthcare and free nannies. What if... we not fight for free healthcare but we take the health insurance companies and put them in a corner like they do to us everyday?

No comments:

Post a Comment